IPPA Honors People as Iowa’s High Pork Promoters
The ladies and men concerned in Iowa’s pork business are each enthusiastic and devoted to the work they do to advertise pork and pig manufacturing within the state, in addition to offering management to their county organizations. That’s why the Iowa Pork Producers Affiliation (IPPA) annually acknowledges these native leaders.
The nominees and state winners have been introduced on the Iowa Pork Congress the final week of January
Belle Ringer Award Winners
Six girls from throughout Iowa have been nominated for the state Belle Ringer award. Every of the nominees was acknowledged on the state assembly for the Belle Ringer roles they play of their county pork producer organizations.
These county winners are:
- Buchanan – Shelby Hawkins, Independence, could be very centered on instructional actions, together with a Pen Buddies program that reaches 480 college students, and writing newsletters for a six-part “Flat Aggie” collection. For adults, Hawkins creates social media posts for the Pork FarmChat, which is a reside and digital area journey to a pig barn. Altogether, she reaches 7,000 individuals by way of her promotion of pig farming.
- Buena Vista – Michelle Ehlers, Marathon, was referred to as “the glue that retains every part collectively and everybody moving into the appropriate course” by the Buena Vista County Pork Producers. Ehlers was pivotal within the group’s vacation and Easter pork promotions.
- Clayton – Kristin Oberbroeckling, Garnavillo, is credited with spearheading and driving the trouble to fundraise and construct a swine and sheep barn on the county fairgrounds. She additionally promotes pork by way of a cookoff on the truthful, and ham and meals donation giveaways.
- Delaware – Mary Clemen, Manchester, might by no means have been a pork producer, however she has been an energetic griller representing Delaware County Pork Producers for greater than 30 years at native occasions, Iowa Hawkeye soccer video games, and on the Iowa State Truthful. The group says “she has actually grilled tons of pork.”
- Jones – Abby Inglis, Wyoming, coordinates the Porker Rides by way of the county so group members can be taught extra about pig manufacturing. She additionally works at bettering hog exhibits within the space and works at pork grillings.
- Lyon – Jessie Eben, Little Rock, has achieved a whole lot of work in updating the Lyon County Pork Producers’ truthful sales space. Eben brings her on-farm data to creating the sales space interactive. She additionally coordinates the county scholarship awards for the group.
Two of the county winners have been chosen as co-winners of the state Belle Ringer Award offered by IPPA. They’re Shelby Hawkins of Buchanan County and Kristin Oberbroeckling of Clayton County.
Winners of the Hog Wild Award
4 males from throughout Iowa have been nominated for the highest Hog Wild award. Every of the nominees was acknowledged for his or her Hog Wild designation for the important thing roles they play of their county pork producer organizations.
These county winners are:
- Buena Vista – Mike Ehlers, Marathon, is aptly described by the Buena Vista Pork Producers as being “really hog wild in regards to the pork business.” Because the county president, he has led the trouble to develop sturdy relationships with affiliate members and constructing a robust native group.
- Delaware – Tony Ries, Ryan, is an energetic pig farmer that has put in numerous hours because the pork superintendent of the county truthful, in addition to being a swine undertaking chief. However he goes past working with youth focused on swine. He additionally takes pigs to varsities so all college students can be taught extra about pigs and their function in Iowa’s on a regular basis life.
- Jones – Travis Hansen, Wyoming, helps all of the Jones County Pork Producer occasions, together with the Porker Experience, RAGBRAI actions, and grilling. The county famous he “communicates properly throughout the group so all producers are studying from one another.”
- Lyon – Bob Bickerstaff, Rock Rapids, has at all times gone above and past expectations of a volunteer in his effort to advertise pork at grilling occasions. As a former restaurant proprietor, the Lyon County Pork Producers says he demonstrates how essential speaking, promoting, and arduous work are at each stage of the farm-to-fork provide chain.
- Tony Ries of Delaware County was named the state winner of the Hog Wild Award offered by IPPA.
Awardees Share Qualities
The people nominated for each the Belle Ringer and Hog Wild awards present the very best qualities of management, dedication and dedication to the actions that promote the Iowa pork business. The IPPA promotion committee selects the nominees and winners of the state awards.
The county organizations that nominated the state winners will every obtain $250; the county organizations nominating the others every obtain $100.